Payroll and Accounting Assistant
About ConvergeConverge is a movement of churches working to help people meet, know and follow Jesus. We do this by starting and strengthening churches together worldwide. For over 165 years we’ve helped churches bring life change to communities in the U.S. and around the world through church planting and multiplication, leadership training and global missions.
Assists the Director of Accounting with payroll and the day-to-day business operations of Converge.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Office Staff Payroll:
- Records hours of work, processes timecards, compiles payroll statistics, and calculates payroll for all new and existing employees.
- Assists in the hiring of new employees by gathering pertinent payroll and benefit information.
- Prepares 941 for Director of Accounting to file for tax purposes. Prepares state tax filings. Also assists with year end tax filings such as W-2, 1099, and ACA required filings.
- Responds to outside employment related inquiries — i.e. prospective employer reference checks, verifications of employment.
- Overall responsibility to process all additions, deletions, and changes to the Ministers Retirement Plan, health insurance, flex, and LTD and Life plans.
- Oversees the Workers comp audit.
- Administers the Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA) process.
- Administers COBRA requirements for previous staff members.
- Assists Retirement Plan, Accounts Payable, Receivable, and other Accounting positions when needed, covering for vacations and seasons of increased workload due to calendar and fiscal year end.
- Assists Director of Accounting with audit prep and other duties as needed.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Accounting degree or 3 to 5 years’ related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
MATHEMATICAL AND EXCEL SKILLS
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs. Ability to work fluently in Microsoft Excel.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
Send your resume to Lisa Johnson, Director of Human Resources, at firstname.lastname@example.org.