About Berkley Community ChurchLocated in a suburb of Detroit, Berkley Community Church is passionate about reaching families with the Gospel through Sunday and mid-week ministry. BCC is a growing church of 250 regular attenders with a roster of approximately 40 students (middle school / high school) and 75 kids (birth-5th grade). Additional number of kids in Wednesday Awana (unchurched and from other churches).
The NextGen Pastor will love, pray, and create a ministry experience that engages kids and students and encourages them to develop a growing relationship with Jesus Christ. This pastor would be the primary leader and innovator of the youth ministry, as well as, leading and encouraging a team of volunteer children’s ministry leaders to bring a solidified gospel vision from birth to graduation. They would have a pastor’s heart, qualifications, and family desire to build relationships and invest into this amazing church and community.
- Youth Ministry (approx. 65% of time/energy)
- Enthusiastically embrace the vision, mission, values and culture of Berkley Community Church.
- Create and strive towards youth ministry specific vision and mission.
- Lead the coordination and facilitation of engaging weekly middle school and high school gathering that are biblically accurate and culturally relevant. Be primary teacher to students.
- Plan and lead retreats, mission trips, and other special events that provide spiritual growth opportunities for both the unchurched and churched students in our community.
- Develop and sustain regular communication with parents. Seek opportunities to build relationships and spiritual counsel to parents.
- Recruit, train, and lead a team of adult leaders and student leaders.
- Love the students! Pastor the students and engage in their lives (hang outs, sports games, build relationship outside of youth group, etc.)
- Help to integrate the student ministry into the overall body of the church.
- Be intentional about being an outreach focused ministry. (i.e. evangelistic events, where possible establish a presence schools in order to support current BCC students and reach others.)
- Submit and manage the annual student ministry budget and demonstrate financial responsibility.
- Network with other student ministry pastors as a means of support and community building.
- Family Ministry (approx. 25% of time/energy)
- Provide vision and leadership in Children’s Ministries.
- Lead and assist ministry leaders (Promiseland, Promiseland Jr., Toddler, Nursery, Awana) regarding curriculum, leader recruitment and development, and encouragement (lead the leaders).
- Serve in Wednesday evening Awana ministry.
- Coordinate family ministry events occasionally throughout year to enrich and be opportunities to bring in new families.
- Other Pastoral Responsibilities: (approx. 10% of time/energy)
- Hold regular office hours with availability to meet with pastor, elders, youth and/or parents on individual basis.
- Attend, participate in and support appropriate and corporate worship services and ministry events as a Pastor of the church.
- Build relationships in church and provide pastoral care duties if needed (weddings, funerals, visitation, and counseling).
- Based on gifting, need, and opportunity, this pastor can also expect to participate in other potential roles such as preaching, worship leading, counseling, church strategy, service planning, outreach, etc.
- Meet biblical qualifications of a church leader.
- Agree with doctrine of our church statement of faith.
- Able to teach the Word of God effectively.
- College/Seminary degree.
- Preferred (but not required) experience in church or para-church organization.
- Have maturing personal spiritual growth with a family and a social life that honestly reflects your spiritual life.
- Has a passion to pastor students and families and see them transformed by the Gospel.
- Has skills and disciplines capable of leading top-notch family ministry.