About Providence Church
Providence Church of Mattoon, Illinois, is a community of believers that hold true to God’s Word and His teachings. The church was founded in 1954 and for over 60 years now, we have passionately served in a community of over 18,000 residents.
We are looking for a Senior Pastor who will lead us in spiritual transformation, preparing us to first reach the mission field within a one-mile radius of our church. This mission field includes a Middle School, two public grade schools, housing that is partially rental property – attracting young couples with children, two trailer parks, government housing, assisted living and two nursing homes. Along with serving the direct needs around the church, we have a strong desire to impact the entire community as a whole, including two colleges; Lake Land College in Mattoon with an enrollment of 5,000 and Eastern Illinois University 10 miles from Mattoon with an enrollment of 7,000.
- Some type of Pastoral experience preferred.
- Be able to identify with people “where they are” and lead them in a walk with Christ that stirs Christ’s vision of redemption in believers and mentors new believers in Christian growth.
- Agree with and be willing to work with the Providence Mission, Vision, and Statement of Faith
- Willing to affiliate with Converge MidAmerica
- Meet the New Testament requirements for pastor as listed in I Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:6-9.
- Model attitudes and behaviors guided by biblical principles demonstrating consistent spiritual growth.
- Maintain a strong devotional and prayer life.
Formal Responsibilities / Leadership and Vision
- Mission focused and goal driven
- Ability to guide teams to accomplish goals
- Ability to deal effectively with demanding situations, working with elders and deacons to design and implement strategies in response to the situations
- Biblically accurate
- Balanced style; text, topical, Bible book study providing life application
- Ability to be casual with wisdom, humor and insight
Teaching - Equip Staff and Lay Leaders to Successfully Coordinate:
- Worship services
- Outreach events
- Ministry groups
- Administration of Ordinances
- Biblical counseling
- Performing weddings
- Premarital Counseling for church members
- Conducting funeral services