First Baptist Church is seeking a Lead Pastor to serve, lead and teach our body of believers, under the direction of God’s Holy Spirit, through the instruction of God’s Word. The lead pastor’s role is to work with other FBC leadership to develop, communicate and equip the church to implement a vision for gospel growth within our fellowship, and gospel outreach to our community and the world.
Lead Pastor Duties (primary)
● Provide direct leadership to the pastoral and office staff, building a culture of purpose and unity as this team pursues its mission to bring glory to Christ. Ensure that all staff members fulfill the requirements of their job descriptions.
● Function as the primary preaching pastor, overseeing all Sunday morning preaching, even if absent. Guard this sacred responsibility, ensuring all teaching is sound, gospel centered, and grounded in the Word of God.
● Train and disciple leaders, equipping and empowering the church to do the work of ministry (Eph 4).
● With the elders, strategize, lead, and implement church-wide initiatives to further the church mission and the kingdom of God.
● Serve our families in conducting weddings and funerals as needed, along with other pastors.
● Serve the Lord’s Supper, or Communion. This should be done at least once per month and may be delegated to other pastors.
● Encourage and conduct baptisms as the Lord provides new converts or as growing believers desire to be baptized. This can be delegated to other pastors.
● Along with other pastors and elders, provide short term counseling to couples or individuals within the church, maintaining the highest standards of moral integrity, biblical counsel and confidentiality.
● Provide leadership to the worship team in regard to form and content of music used in our worship service.
● Serve under the leadership of the Elder Board, assisting the Elder Chairman with meeting dates and agendas. Meetings should take place at least once per month.
Character/Spiritual Life Requirements
● Sound character and integrity, meeting the biblical qualifications of an elder and overseer as defined in 1 Timothy 3 and Titus 1.
● A history of compassionate character, demonstrating the activity of the Holy Spirit with fruit as listed in Galatians 5.
● Complete agreement with First Baptist Church’s doctrinal statement.
● A heart of humility, evidenced in his willingness to shepherd and serve sacrificially.
● A deep commitment to prayer and personal time in God’s word.
● Transparent in sharing not only his strengths and victories, but his needs and faults.
● A love for God’s word and a passion for making disciples.
● A demonstrated gifting and background in preaching God’s word – has experienced the challenge of sermon prep and delivery on a regular basis.
● Has undergone formal theological/ministry training (Seminary degree or equivalent is preferred).
● Minimum of 5 years of experience as a pastor, or equivalent experience in other full time ministry.
● Has demonstrated faithfulness and fruitfulness in ministry.
● Has experience being part of an elder board, or serving with an elder board.
● Desired – Experience with a multi-service church of at least 300 attendees.
For a Church and Community Profile and additional information on First Baptist Church, please visit our website at www.fbcmedford.com/pastoral-search/.
Please send sermon link with resume.